Magento is becoming increasingly popular CMS in the niche of eCommerce. It is used by every fourth company that sells products/services online. In this review we will write 10 facts about Magento – all that you need to know before you build your online project on it.
1. The system was launched in 2008, under the name “Bento” by osCommerce creators who initially planned to leave things as they are, and then decided to rewrite it from scratch. Soon, eBay has acquired absolutely all rights to Magento.
2. There are two main editions of Magento: Community Edition (CE), which is available for free and Enterprise Edition (EE), which is designed for large enterprises and costs of $18,000/year. Magento Enterprise is a derivative of Magento CE, but includes more functionality and professional support from Magento team. Community Edition can be downloaded here. On the official website there are also additional capabilities and themes from the Magento Connect section. The standard price for themes is $99 and addons can achieve cost from $100 to $ 1,000.
3. Magento is probably the most comprehensive open source solution for eCommerce. It effectively competes with such expensive commercial solutions like Oracle ATG, Hybris or IBM WebCommerce.
4. According to recent surveys, Magento remains the most popular eCommerce platform on the market for fourth years in a row. It is also a leader in the category of top online stores that sell the most.
5. Magento is a very flexible platform. It is quite simple when it comes to setting of product, payment methods or delivery, general settings of the store. Owners of online stores have complete control over the appearance, content and functionality of the site using an intuitive management interface. Although at first they will still have to spend some time to study the engine.
6. When it comes to finding developers to customize the online store, there are plenty of them on the outsourcing market, including very active community of Magento, which can help to set up Community Edition. By the way, if you need professional development and support on Magento, you can count on SoftwareGarage.
7. The most common disadvantages of Magento are complicated configuration and resource requirements. The system will run slowly on a standard shared hosting, so you’ll need a dedicated server or a good setup of cloud hosting. This should be taken into account, especially if you plan to build a big online project. But the engine is constantly being improved.
8. Today there are more than 5,000 extensions and modules, both paid and free. Prices for paid extensions are very different – from a few dollars up to $2,000.
9. All modules have one thing in common: they help to extend and customize the store, under the requirements of your business. It is also possible to independently develop your own extension.
10. CMS Magento is built on Zend Framework, so it uses object‐oriented approach to programming and architecture of MVC (model‐view‐controller). This makes coding relatively clean and makes it easy to maintain code.
At SoftwareGarage we use Magento as one of our main engines for development, because it’s really powerful and allows to maintain large online stores using functionality that no other engine has. Feel free to contact us for more information.
Let’s discuss the development of your project!
Also, subscribe to receive latest news and publications!