Search engine optimization is nothing else but the definition of conformity of the particular website to quality criteria that are known as ranking factors. There are many classifications of ranking factors, but generally speaking they can be divided into 3 broad categories: internal – the site itself, external – its encirclement, and behavioral – the attitude of users to the site.
Internal ranking factors:
- text (meta, texts, headers);
- technical (loading speed, errors and redirects);
- host (domain age, affiliates);
- geographical (correct regional location of the site);
- domain (presence of the key in the domain name, PR);
- internal links (relinking scheme, anchor list);
- commercial factors (contact details of the organization, feedback, catalog and prices).
- external links (age of the donor, proportion of natural links);
- anchor list;
- reputation of the project;
- social networks (references in social networks, the use of buttons “like” and “share”).
- CTR of the site in the search (snippets, micro‐marking);
- user behavior on the site (depth and duration of views; returns).
The success of promotion depends on how strong is the influence of each of ranking factors on the particular site. For example, the strongest of text factors is presence and relevance of the title and headlines. Weaker ones include filling the alt attribute in images and grammar mistakes. Also, the importance of ranking factors is not static in time, as the search engine algorithms are regularly improved, new factors appear, and the value of some of the old ones decreases.
Of course, you should always stick to the basic criteria of optimization, but you’ll need a little more to be in the top 10 and stay there for a long time. To achieve great results, you have to consistently perform the following steps.
1. Figure out the needs of your target audience. Before starting the development of the site, each owner must understand for whom the project is intended. Important is not only age and gender of your future customers, but also their interests, concerns, technical competence. All of this knowledge in the future should be reflected in design and structure of the site, and the formation of content that meets the needs of target audience.
2. Technical optimization, bug fixes. Technical errors are not always obvious. Sometimes their identification requires a large amount of time and good analytics. By the way, you can take advantage of our basic check‐list of SEO‐settings.
3. Optimization of the process of ordering. How convenient is your site for the users? Go through all the way of the user on the site and find out what difficulties the buyer meets in the process of placing the order. Also, follow our advice and avoid these mistakes in website design.
When creating a website, focus on the user. So you will naturally create a good site, which will be interesting for target audience and meet the required ranking factors.
SoftwareGarage can help you with this. We can conduct analytics of your website, identify its weaknesses and eliminate them. Make your resource user‐friendly, useful and well‐ranked.
Also, subscribe to receive latest news and publications!