This is the continuation of our article about common factors that hinder the promotion of the site. The first part is here. There are several more important reasons, so let’s continue.
Your website should be credible both for users and search engines.
- Robots consider the reputation of the site – how long the site is in the web, how often it is being updated, whether the information on the site is relevant and so on.
- Interest for users. Social networks play the increasing role. A good indicator is when the site has a button “Share”, and the visitors use it to share the information. In general, the synergy of social networks and the site is effective in promoting. SMO (social media optimization) has long been a standard that everyone should use.
Tip: if you are not a big company like Amazon, your primary task is to show users that you are trustworthy. Page “About us”, feedback page, legal address and requisites, certificates and licenses – all these elements must necessarily be on your site.
The cases of intentional deception of search engines are quite common, and they are becoming more and more original. But sometimes the site owners even might not be aware of these nuances. Leaders in this category:
- Viruses. The owner of the infected site is unlikely to suspect that there is a virus on its site. But robots recognize the infected sites very well, and don’t show them to users.
- Web-affiliates. Sometimes these sites are created specially to win because of the quantity, but not quality. However, most affiliates are created unknowingly. For example, the supplier has a site, and its representative in the region also has a site, herewith the images and descriptions are often taken from the site of the supplier. So it turns out that in one region there are two sites that offer the same goods and want to get into the top of the SERP by the same keywords. Search engines quickly recognize affiliate sites and ranks only one of them.
Tip: regularly update your CMS – this will help to protect your site from viruses. Just in case, check your site for viruses (you can use this service). Don’t allow the emergence of affiliates. If you create a new site, don’t forget to put 301-redirect from the old one.
Good design is the key to a successful website. If your website has an outdated design, this may well be the cause of bad ranking. The behavioral factors and the credibility of the site suffer. And the search engines also can see that site is obsolete. Consequently, only more qualitative and modern sites will get into the top.
Tip: update your site’s design every 4-6 years, constantly improving its selling qualities.
Unreliable hosting, lots of broken links, incorrectly configured robots.txt and other technical errors can seriously harm the ranking of the site. So if you doubt that your site is OK, it’s better to show it to the specialists.
Tip: technical SEO-audit is something that should be done even before you begin to invest in promotion.
So, for your site to rank well in search engines, its promotion needs comprehensive measures:
- qualitative optimization;
- the presence of unique and optimized content;
- link mass;
- good behavioral factors.
We hope that our material will help you identify the causes of bad SEO-positions, carry out work on the mistakes and continue your campaign. Be patient: the results won’t be shown immediately. SEO is not the easiest and most affordable method of promotion. But when you will see your website on the first page of the SERP – you will understand, for what you tried so hard.
At SoftwareGarage you can order technical audit of your site – we will check its basic metrics and give detailed recommendations on its improvement. And the elimination of the discovered defects will definitely improve the ranking.
Send a request and receive free consultation!
Also, subscribe to receive latest news and publications!
Article thumbnail image by www.crukz.com