The semantic kernel of the site is a requests database (words and phrases), which is implemented in the text of the site pages with the purpose of its further promotion. Today we will tell how to make it correctly.
Where to begin
Before proceeding to the compilation of a semantic kernel, you should become familiar with the types of search queries. When creating the kernel take into account:
- frequency of a keyword or phrase;
- competitiveness of the queries.
The frequency of the query is a number that indicates how many times whithin the last month in a given region users searched a key word or phrase. Queries can be:
- high frequency;
- middle frequency;
- low frequency.
Competitiveness of the queries is an indicator equal to the number of the answers that was found by the search engine to the user’s queries in a particular region. In other words, it describes how difficult it will be to move to the top of search engine results for a particular query. Accordingly, there are the following types of queries’ competitiveness:
- Highly competitive;
The competitiveness of queries is more difficult to determine than their frequency. However, everything is individual and depends on the specific business and the region.
Now that we have understood the terminology, let’s proceed to the compilation of a semantic kernel.
Compilation of a semantic kernel
In fact, you need to create a content plan – a list of thematic keywords. The presence of these keywords on the site pages directly affect the success of promotion, so you must approach very seriously to the filling of this content plan.
So, how to choose correct keywords? There are several methods to do this (it’s desirable to use them all):
- Analyse the site themes (the areas of activities of your company) and make a list of the most probable search queries. It is possible that some part of this list as a result will be the low frequency queries. This will be corrected at a later stage.
- Search for synonyms. Sometimes you can create keywords by replacing separate parts of the phrase with synonyms. For example, the key phrase “how to create a website” can be transformed into “how to develop a website”.
- Studying of competitors’ sites will also allow to collect semantics and greatly increase the volume of site kernel. For example, if you enter in the search bar one of the key phrases, in the search results there will be the sites which are in the top. Looking through their titles, you can find unaccounted keywords.
- And of course, take the help of Google Keyword Planner.
After this you need to check all the key queries that have been obtained as a result of the use of all previous methods. In the process the unnecessary queries are rejected, and the list is complemented by the new key phrases.
Tip 1: in order to properly compose the semantics, avoid keywords that are unsuitable by meaning – they can attract non‐target audience.
Tip 2: try not to include too general phrases or, on the contrary, too “narrow”. If not controlling this moment, you risk to worsen the behavioral factors and reduce traffic growth.
Combining all of the above methods, you can create a high‐quality semantic kernel, which will be the guarantee for effective promotion of the site.
SoftwareGarage can take over the compilation of a semantic kernel for your site. We also develop a promotional strategy, so feel free to contact us to discuss the E‐marketing activities on your resource.
Send a request and receive free consultation!
Also, subscribe to receive latest news and publications!